Helpline highlight: Northern Ireland A year in review April 2011 - March 2012
This report looks at contacts made to the NSPCC's helpline service from Northern Ireland. It considers the length of time people wait before making contact, the number of contacts resulting in referrals to children's services or the police and the number of contacts receiving advice.
Part of the Helpline highlight series.
- Between 1 April 2011 and 31 March 2012, the NSPCC helpline responded to 691 contacts from people in Northern Ireland, an increase of 58% on the previous year.
- 353 of these contacts (involving 717 children) resulted in referrals to children's services or the police.
- For the remaining 338 contacts, helpline counsellors provided information or advice, helping an estimated 676 children.
- Neglect was the leading cause for referrals (39%, 138 cases).
- 29% of referrals (102) were about physical abuse.
- 14% of referrals (50) were about sexual abuse.
- 289 children (45%) involved in referrals were under six years old.
- In cases where the concerns were so significant we had to make referrals, 41 people (32%) had waited more than six months before getting in touch.
- The majority of contacts leading to referrals came from members of the public, not from family members or professionals.
|Calls and contacts - how people get in touch||6|
|Levels of risk and abuse in Northern Ireland||7|
|The NSPCC helpline in Northern Ireland||9|
|Rebecca and Aaron’s story||19|
|The value of the helpline in supporting the public to protect children||20|
|Listening to adults who speak on behalf of children||21|
|Northern Ireland safeguarding context||22|
|How to contact the NSPCC||24|
|Northern Ireland child protection useful numbers||25|
Other research and resources
Helpline highlight: protecting children in Northern Ireland: 2012-13
Helpline highlight 2012/13: more people speaking out to protect children
NSPCC Youth Witness Service Remote Live Link
How safe are our children? 2017
How safe are our children? 2017 is the NSPCC's third annual report that compiles and analyses the most robust and up-to-date child protection data that exists across the four nations in the UK for 2017.
Our Current Awareness Service for Practice, Policy And Research delivers free weekly email alerts to keep you up-to-date with all the latest safeguarding and child protection news.
Follow us on Twitter and keep up-to-date with all the latest news in child protection.
We hold the UK's largest collection of child protection resources and the only UK database specialising in published material on child protection, child abuse and child neglect.
New in the Library
A free weekly email listing all of the new child protection publications added to our library collection.
Helping you keep children safe
Read our guide for professionals on what we do and the ways we can work with you to protect children and prevent abuse and neglect.
Impact and evidence hub
Find out how we evaluate and research the impact we’re making in protecting children, get tips and tools for researchers and access resources.
Get expert training and consultancy
Sharing knowledge to keep children safe
Read our guide to the NSPCC Knowledge and Information Service to find out how we can help you with child protection queries, support your research, and help you learn and develop.