Things to do together
Ages: 3–10 | Activity type: Supervised | Prep time: 30 mins | Activity time: 1–3 hours | Cost and materials: £
Activity 1: Snow printing
Materials: White paint, a potato, a small plate or tray for your paint, A4 dark coloured or painted paper, a knife and chopping board, a pen.
The instructions below are to print your own snowman, but why not try printing a polar bear, some penguins or a Christmas robin?
- Step 1: Cut a potato three times to make four slices (make sure you get a grown up to help you!)
- Step 2: Fold your coloured or painted A4 paper in half to make a card
- Step 3: Dip the potato slices into your white paint
- Step 4: Press the different painted potato slices onto your coloured paper to get different snowman shapes. You could try a small print at the topand larger ones underneath or mix up the sizes!
- Step 5: Once your prints are dry, draw eyes, a nose and a mouth on your
snowmen to bring them to life
- Step 6: Write a lovely Christmas message inside
- Step 7: Give it to someone special to wish them a Merry Christmas!
Activity 2: Personalised snowflake
Materials: Plain A4 paper x2, safety scissors, glue or tape
Did you know? Every single snowflake that’s ever fallen is different from all
the others, and your Snowflake card will be unique to you.
- Step 1: Make a square by folding one corner of a sheet of A4 to the opposite edge of the paper
- Step 2: Trim the overhanging paper off the bottom to leave a square piece of paper
- Step 3: Fold the square paper in half, then in half again, then in half again
- Step 4: Along the edges, cut small shapes out. You could try triangles, squares or circles to start with
- Step 5: Unfold your snowflake
- Step 6: Fold a new piece of A4 paper in half to make your card
- Step 7: Glue or use a loop of sticky tape to fix the snowflake to the front of your card
- Step 8: Write a lovely Christmas message inside
- Step 9: Give it to someone special to wish them a Merry Christmas!
Other ways to get involved this Christmas
Get a letter from Santa
Santa’s workshop is open for business! Build your special Letter from Santa today and be here for children this Christmas.
NSPCC Christmas shop
Take a look at our range of gifts for little ones and big ones alike, perfect for Christmas - all proceeds go towards our fight for every childhood.