Designated child protection officer in Scotland refresher course Training to update your child protection skills and knowledge to support your role
If you're responsible for receiving concerns about the safety and welfare of children and young people in Scotland, then we recommend that you update your child protection knowledge every 2 to 3 years.
Our training course, taught by experienced professionals, will update your understanding of how to recognise, report and record concerns about a child in Scotland.
About this course
In this classroom-based course, you'll learn how to:
- revisit and describe the role and main responsibilities of the Designated child protection officer (DCPO)
- describe the changes in key legislation and National Guidance for Child Protection in Scotland (2014)
- apply the Getting it right for every child (GIRFEC) approach to protect children and young people, prevent abuse and promote welfare
- review your own values regarding child abuse and explain the impact of these on professional practice
- identify the blocks to staff reporting concerns and explore strategies of overcoming them
- identify barriers that prevent staff working within a multi-agency arena and explore strategies of overcoming them
- demonstrate an awareness and understanding of current issues relating to keeping children and young people safe, such as child sexual exploitation and online safety
- make appropriate decisions about the action to take to protect children
- demonstrate an awareness of the emotional impact of protection work and identify ways in which a DCPO can support themselves as well as staff.
- critically appraise your organisation's child protection policy and procedures.
If you're responsible for receiving concerns about the safety and welfare of children and young people in Scotland then the National Framework for Child Protection Learning and Development Framework states that you should have additional knowledge and skills in the changes in legislation.
At the NSPCC, we recommend that your child protection knowledge should be updated every 2 to 3 years to support this.
This course is for people who have previously attended a Designated Child Protection Officer (Scotland) course and who need to update their knowledge and skills.