Designated safeguarding officer in Northern Ireland course Training for anyone responsible with receiving concerns about the safety and welfare of children and young people
Our training course will help you gain the skills for a child protection role in Northern Ireland.
Taught by experienced professionals, you will you gain a clear understanding of how to recognise, report and record concerns about a child.
In this classroom-based course, you’ll learn how to:
- describe the role and main responsibilities of the designated safeguarding children officer
- state your own values regarding child abuse and the impact of these on professional practice
- describe the key legislation and guidance that determines your organisation’s policy for child safety and welfare
- decide what steps your organisation needs to take to look after the safety and welfare of the children and young people it comes into contact with
- identify the barriers that prevent children from reporting abuse
- know how to respond effectively to a child who does report abuse
- understand the barriers that prevent staff from reporting concerns, and how to overcome them
- make the right decisions about what steps to take when concerns about a child have been raised
- know what’s likely to happen following a referral to children's social care
- explain the issues connected to recording and sharing information, including confidentiality
- show an awareness of the emotional impact of safeguarding children and identify a network for personal support
- talk about your organisation’s overarching policy and procedures.
Our designated safeguarding officer in Northern Ireland course is for those who have a responsibility to coordinate the response to safeguarding concerns within their organisation, and support others in doing so.
You must have previously attended an introductory level course in child protection, and have a role in liaising with other agencies involved in child protection, especially children’s social care.
People who have taken this course include:
- child care groups
- professionals and volunteers from commercial and community organisations
This course doesn’t provide full training for people who work in a statutory agency.
Want to commission specialist training?
If you are interested in training for a statutory agency or health named professionals, please call 0808 800 5000 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Accreditation for Continuing
Our child protection and safeguarding training courses are CPD certified and delivered by experienced professionals.