Volunteer counsellor role Can you spare some time to listen to children who need our help?
Childline is a vital service available 365 days a year to support children and young people, whatever their worry or concern.
As a volunteer counsellor, you'll be trained and develop the skills needed to offer comfort, support and practical advice to the many young people and children who call us for help.
What our volunteers say
"The most rewarding part of the role for me is that I know I have made a difference to a child's life."
How to play your part
You'll need to be available:
- to take part in 44 hours of initial training and mentoring
- for one 4 and a 1/4 hour shift a week at the same time each week for a minimum commitment of 1 year
- to attend regular skills development workshops
- to attend regular supervision
You'll need to be the kind of person who can demonstrate:
- motivation to support and protect children and young people
- good IT skills
- good communication skills (written, oral and listening)
- an empathetic and non-judgemental outlook
- working as a team member
- emotional resilience and ability to identify and deal with feelings (your own and others)
- a willingness to give and receive feedback and be open to learning
- maintaining confidentiality
Training and support for volunteers
We've helped almost 1.8 million children know to speak out if they're worried about abuse. Donate today and help us reach one more child.