Volunteer for ChildLine Schools Service
Make a difference for children by offering your time and support to help them stay safe from abuse
Children have the right to be happy and safe. The ChildLine Schools Service wants children to know this and aims to ensure that every primary school child (aged 9-11) understands abuse, knows how to protect themself and has an awareness of how to get help and support.
As a Schools Service volunteer you will help make a difference, using assemblies and classroom workshops to help encourage children to recognise situations where they may need help and letting them know how they can access support.
We will be on hand to help you all the way with ongoing training and support, and a local team of volunteers and staff that you will become a part of.
Watch this message from Lee Mitchell, Head of ChildLine Schools Service
How you can make a difference
If you believe in the empowerment and protection of all children and can demonstrate the sensitivity and support to engage with them, we would love for you to join our team of volunteers.
Key volunteer activities and responsibilities include:
- working in pairs to deliver assemblies and classroom workshops to children within primary schools
- working with staff and volunteers in your team to develop and evaluate your practice as a volunteer
- ensuring that you adhere to ChildLine safeguarding practices and policies, including those relating to child protection or child welfare concerns
For the ChildLine Schools Service to be able to make a difference for children it is important that our volunteers have the right skills.
We are looking for people who:
- have the confidence to speak in front of a group of primary school children
- have the ability to communicate and engage with children
- are willing to learn, complete training and accept feedback
- have basic IT skills
- can commit to two schools visits a month during term time, between the hours of 9:00am-3:00pm
Watch how volunteers are making a difference
Watch and listen to ChildLine Schools Service volunteers as they talk about how they are making a difference for children in their communities.
You do not need any previous experience of working with children to be a Schools Service volunteer, as we will provide you with the relevant training.
More about the ChildLine Schools Service
Find ChildLine volunteer roles
Make a difference for children when you volunteer with our Schools Service or the ChildLine helpline.
Benefits of volunteering
We’ll provide expert training and a supportive network to give you the opportunity to gain valuable skills.
Applying and training
Once you have completed our online application and interview, we'll provide the training that you need.
Schools: arrange a volunteer visit
Contact us if you are interested in having a ChildLine Schools Service volunteer speak to your pupils.