Give your time and talents to support others
Every year thousands of our supporters walk, run, cycle and challenge themselves to raise money for the NSPCC and change lives.
But they couldn’t do it without the enthusiastic support of our event volunteers, who give our eventers the boost they need to make it to the finish line.
Helping at our events is an easy way to volunteer and support our work.
We're looking for enthusiastic event volunteers for our Messathon events in Surrey and the West Midlands in June 2018.
As well as cheering our competitors on, we need your help to marshal them round the course, check their belongings into our baggage store and hand out their medals at the finish line. You'll also have the chance to try the obstacle course once all our messathletes have finished.
"We can't wait to join Team NSPCC again!"
“My family and I headed home with croaky voices after all our cheering and shouting, sun-kissed skin and jingling in our ears from the sounds of cow bells, whistles and bam bam balloons. It truly was a great day and we hope to be joining you again.”
– NSPCC event volunteer at the 2018 Virgin Money London Marathon
More about being an event volunteer
We currently need event volunteers for the following events:
- Great Manchester Run – 20 May 2018
- Edinburgh Marathon – 28 May 2018
- Messathon, Guildford – 9 June 2018 *we urgently need help here!
- The Color Run, London Wembley Park – 8 July 2018
- Messathon, Birmingham – 21/22 July 2018 *we urgently need help here!
- Ride London – 29 July 2018
- Great North Run, Newcastle – 9 September 2018
- Richmond Running Festival, London – 14 September 2018
- Cardiff Half Marathon – 7 October 2018
- Royal Parks Foundation Half Marathon, London – 7 October 2018
- Great South Run, Portsmouth – 21 October 2018
- Gherkin Challenge, London – 28 October 2018
We need your help to:
- create a party atmosphere at our cheering stations – you'll get a lovely NSPCC t-shirt to wear on the day, which is yours to keep.
- clap, whoop and encourage our eventers round their courses.
- check-in participants' bags and marshal the route at our Messathon events in Guildford and Birmingham – afterwards, we invite you to give the unique course a go.
The amount of time we need our volunteers for depends on the event, but we generally will need our event cheerers for 4-6 hours. However, if you can only commit to fewer hours that is also completely fine!
Yes, we can pay you up to £5 to cover travel expenses.
We'll supply you with your very own NSPCC t-shirt and cheering materials, including whistles, bam bams, clappers, cow bells and pom poms. All we ask is that you wear comfortable shoes and dress appropriately for the weather! Other than that, just bring yourself and prepare to have a good time.
We happily welcome all ages but we ask that volunteers under the age of 18 are accompanied by an adult who has also signed up. We can also supply child-sized NSPCC t-shirts to younger volunteers.
Yes, you can happily sign up to volunteer at as many events as you'd like.