Designated safeguarding officer training Training for anyone responsible with receiving concerns about the safety and welfare of children and young people
Our training course will help you gain the skills to act appropriately and confidently to protect the children you work with in a designated child safeguarding role.
Taught by experienced professionals, you will learn how to recognise, report and record concerns about a child.
About this course:
In this classroom-based course, you’ll learn how to:
- describe the role and main responsibilities of the designated safeguarding children officer
- state your own values regarding child abuse and the impact of these on professional practice
- describe the key legislation and guidance that determines your organisation’s policy for child safety and welfare
- decide what steps your organisation needs to take to look after the safety and welfare of the children and young people it comes into contact with
- identify the barriers that prevent children from reporting abuse
- know how to respond effectively to a child who does report abuse
- understand the barriers that prevent staff from reporting concerns, and how to overcome them
- make the right decisions about what steps to take when concerns about a child have been raised
- know what’s likely to happen following a referral to children's social care
- explain the issues connected to recording and sharing information, including confidentiality
- show an awareness of the emotional impact of safeguarding children and identify a network for personal support
- talk about your organisation’s overarching policy and procedures.
Designated safeguarding officer training is for those who have a responsibility to coordinate the response to safeguarding concerns within their organisation, and support others in doing so.
You must have previously attended an introductory level course in child protection, and have a role in liaising with other agencies involved in child protection, especially children’s social care.
People who have taken this course include:
- child care groups
- professionals and volunteers from commercial and community organisations
This course doesn’t provide full training for people who work in a statutory agency.
Note for health professionals: This course sits outside of the intercollegiate document levels required for health care staff. However we can deliver Level 3 and 4 training to your health organisation.
Want to commission specialist training?
If you are interested in training for a statutory agency or health named professionals, please call 0808 800 5000 or email email@example.com
Very good, both trainers seemed very knowledgeable and willing to cater to our individual queries and concerns.
Greatly improved my understanding and knowledge
I feel much more confident about rolling this info out to others.
I have learnt a lot from this event. It has given me a great insight into what the front line staff and managers may be dealing with on a day to day basis.
I feel more confident in dealing/supporting front line staff with incidents or concerns about safeguarding
Trainers were very knowledgeable and provided accessible info.
Accreditation for Continuing
Our child protection and safeguarding training courses are CPD certified and delivered by experienced professionals.