Tips to help keep your child safe on BeReal
There are no specific parental controls on BeReal, but the following tips can help to keep your child safe when using the app.
Talk to them about sharing
Have regular conversations with your child about what is and isn’t ok to share. Remind them that they shouldn’t share private things, such as:
- personal information, like names, phone numbers, links to other social media accounts or their school
- Recognisable live or frequent locations (for example, street signs)
- other people's personal information
- links to join private group chats
- photos of their body, such as sexual photos or videos.
Make sure they know that sharing pictures other people without their consent is not ok.
Set rules around friends
Make sure your child is using the ‘my friends only’ mode on BeReal. Talk to them about who they add as friends and tell them to come to you if they receive a friend request from someone they don’t know. Remind them that friends of friends might be people their friends don’t know either so it’s best to not add or accept requests from them. To remove a friend, follow these steps:
- tap the friend icon in the top left corner.
- go to the ‘friends’ tab
- tap the x icon beside the friend you want to remove
- tap delete
- know where to report.
It is possible that your child might see content on BeReal that is inappropriate or worrying. If this happens, you should report it to the platform. To report something on BeReal simply tap on the three dots in the top right corner and click ‘report’.
Set rules around location sharing
When you post on BeReal, you have the option to share your location with others. This means that everyone on your BeReal can see your live location when you post. To turn off location-sharing:
- take the picture
- tap the location icon above ‘send’
- tap the option to turn your location off.